Sunday, March 15, 2009

March 15 - Scripture Memory post

It is time to post again! If you have not tried the memory verse software I mentioned in the previous post, you should! It has been an extremely important part of my learning. Try it!

Are you different? In a recent worship service, the speaker pointed out that we should be different. As Christians, we should stand out in the crowd. Do your actions and words speak of a relationship with Christ? The verse the speaker was referring to was 1 Peter 2:12, "Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day he visits us." Have you ever wondered who might be watching you, and consider that your actions alone could lead someone to Christ or bring them back if they have strayed? I remember longing to be in the group of kids who were respected by the others because they were "good" (I was not the best of teens). Their actions spoke so loud of their relationship with Christ, do yours?

5 comments:

  1. 1 Thessalonians 1:6 is my new memory verse:

    You became imitators of us and of the Lord; in spite of severe suffering, you welcomed the message with the joy given by the Holy Spirit.

    Imitating Christ, accepting the gift of the Holy Spirit...pure joy for Christians!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Romans 15:7
    Accept one another,then, just as Christ accepted you, in order to bring praise to God.

    I like this one because it helps me remember that I should not be judgmental. Only God can see the true heart of each of his creations. Being judgmental erects walls, but God wants to tear down walls. I want to bring praise like this to God.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Romans 13:1 (NIV) Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God.

    This is a reminder of who is in control! As was pointed out by someone, it states twice that God is the one who establishes the governing authorities, so He wanted us to be clear about it apparently. I need to remember that God puts these people in their positions and I need to honor that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 2 Corinthians 12:9
    But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.
    As many verses have been, this one is very comforting. I am glad to know that despite my many weaknesses, I can rest in Jesus Christ's strength; that He can handle what I cannot. What a wonderful reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I Peter 3:15

    But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect.

    I recently read someone's account of going to heaven and another person's account of going to hell. Both returned to life and wrote down their experiences. The books remind that heaven and hell are real places and that people are going there everyday. I need to be ready everyday to glorify the Lord, a gentle and respectful word of warning and/or invitation.

    Imagine if any of us had such an experience. Would we have any problem sharing God's truths and His gospel? And the importance of godly behavior that many of you mentioned above. Some of the greatest sermons people will hear have no words.

    ReplyDelete